Subject: Lucent AMR support coming
From: "stodolsk@rcn.com" <stodolsk@rcn.com>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 13:26:16 -0400

 Fri, 10 May 2002 13:26:16 -0400
Folks,

Some Good News, and some Explanation from Agere Systems below.

The Good News from Agere Systems is:
"We have recently received a serious request from a lead customer to support
Linux on our AC'97 modem.  We certainly have the ability to do it.  It's
probably just a matter of time until it happens."

Someone with more technical depth than me could perhaps expand on the Explanation:
"The PCI ID (output from lspci -n) is a function of the core logic chipset and the BIOS,
not the AC'97 hardware itself.  Different modem suppliers support identical Silicon
Labs chips with different drivers"

This leaves me perplexed on how the individual User/Owner will be able to determine
which is the appropriate drivers to use/test under Linux.  See the particular case cited
below, which Jacques Goldberg brought to my attention.

MarvS

The PCI ID is a function of the core logic chipset and the BIOS, not the
AC'97 hardware itself.  Different modem suppliers support identical Silicon
Labs chips with different drivers.

We have recently received a serious request from a lead customer to support
Linux on our AC'97 modem.  We certainly have the ability to do it.  It's
probably just a matter of time until it happens.

I still haven't resubscribed to discuss@linmodems.org, so I'm a little
uncomfortable posting blind.  Paraphrase for me, if you're willing.
--
Ed Schulz
Agere Systems

http://www.mbsi.ca/hsflinux/
> Use PCI vendor:device - 8086:2446
> If you download the newest driver (4.06.06.02 dated 2002.02.26), you can
use automatic configuration. Your modem should be recognized.

http://mail2web.com/ .